New Patients 727-888-6929

Existing Patients 727-446-6747

127 N Garden Ave, Clearwater
FL 33755 | Directions
Welcome to  Natural Dentistry

Are Mercury Amalgam Fillings Bad For You?

Are Mercury Amalgam Fillings Bad For You?

What is a “Mercury Filling” and is it just mercury?

No it is not just pure mercury. It is actually called an “amalgam filling” because it is a combination of metals. These include silver, mercury, tin and copper. This combination has been the most popular filling material used in dentistry for the last 150 years. Dental amalgam is made of between 43 and 54 percent mercury. Amalgam fillings are commonly called “silver fillings” – a marketing strategy to make consumers think that the filling is mainly silver.

Why is mercury used in amalgam fillings?

Mercury is used in amalgam fillings because it helps make the filling material pliable. When it is mixed with an alloy powder, it creates a compound that is soft enough to mix and press into the tooth. But it also hardens quickly and can withstand the forces of biting and chewing.

Are mercury amalgam fillings bad for you?

Mercury is the most poisonous, non-radioactive, naturally occurring substance on our planet.

There is no safe level of mercury. Mercury is one of the most toxic neurotoxins and easily destroys brain tissue. It’s a scientific fact that toxic mercury vapor is continually being released from amalgam fillings. This causes an accumulation in the body overtime and the body loses its effectiveness at removing mercury due to the overload.

Health effects from excessive mercury exposure include tremors, impaired vision and hearing, paralysis, insomnia, emotional instability, birth defects, and developmental delays during childhood.

How does mercury in an amalgam filling affect the body?

This video shows how if you have amalgam fillings, then every time you eat, chew, visit the dentist or drink hot coffee, mercury vapors are released into your oral cavity, where they can be absorbed into your blood stream causing damages to the lungs, kidneys and the nervous, digestive, respiratory and immune systems.

The poisonous vapors are odorless, colorless and tasteless so you won’t be able to tell that they’re there.

A single dental amalgam filling may release as much as 15 micrograms of mercury per day. The average individual has eight amalgam fillings and could absorb up to 120 micrograms of mercury per day.

The REAL and ONLY reasons mercury amalgam fillings are still used…

Mercury amalgam is easier and cheaper than other more bio compatible methods and rides on the excuse that “everyone is still doing it”. But the truth is that amalgam fillings are primitive, stone age and dangerous to one’s health.

Can amalgam fillings be removed and replaced with safe biocompatible material?

Absolutely! But the procedure must be done with extreme caution. Many people are deciding they want to have their silver amalgam (mercury) fillings removed. However, the procedure is not done right, it can cause a tremendous amount of mercury to be absorbed by the body and make one ill. To help prevent this, safety precautions are used by our office so the person won’t swallow or breathe mercury vapor while the fillings are being removed.

Mercury vaporizes at room temperature. As soon as the dentist touches the filling with a drill, the temperature soars and the mercury vapor comes pouring off the fillings. Then when you take a breath it goes right into your lungs. To prevent this from happening, we have developed a highly state of the art routine to ensure the safety of the patient, doctor and staff. More can be read about amalgam removal procedure here.


Review Author
I had a tooth extracted at a regular dentist before. I remember intense pain after the novacaine wore off and 2.5 days on painkillers. When I had a tooth extracted with Behm, they used a process that gave me zero pain immediately after the procedure or in the days following. They are very consultative and welcoming. Very happy with my experience.
Originally posted on