Clearwater, Florida dentist explains how to improve your gum health naturally
According to the CDC, nearly half of adults over 30 have some form of gum disease. This staggering number increases with age. It is a common oral health problem that, if left unchecked, can lead to serious oral and overall health issues. Dr. Beata Carlson and the team at Natural Dentistry in Clearwater, Florida, has created a list of tips on how to improve your gum health naturally to help you protect your dental health.
The role of your gums
Also called the gingiva, the gums are the soft tissues at the base of your teeth. They cover and protect the roots of your teeth and your jaw bones. Healthy gums keep the teeth tightly anchored so they can function, bite, and chew normally. The gums are pink and should not bleed easily when brushing or flossing.
Tips to improve your gum health naturally
Since your gums have an important role in helping your teeth function properly, it is important to keep them healthy. The steps that follow can help you learn how to improve your gum health naturally.
1. Establish a good oral hygiene regimen at home. This is one of the most important steps to improve your dental health naturally. Brushing and flossing remove food particles and bacteria that are between the teeth and along the gum line.
2. Visit a holistic dentist for routine cleanings and examinations. Daily brushing and flossing are necessary, but they are not enough on their own. Routine dental exams and cleanings with your dentist help remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria from hard-to-reach areas. These appointments also catch problems and potential signs of gum disease before they have the chance to spread. Visiting your dentist is an important step to improve your dental health naturally.
3. Try oil pulling to reduce plaque. The ayurvedic practice traditionally uses sesame oil, but studies have shown that coconut oil may be more effective at preventing bacteria from damaging the enamel. Oil pulling involves swishing a small amount of oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes before rinsing and brushing your teeth.
4. Use a saltwater rinse to soothe gum inflammation. This natural remedy uses products found in your home. Mix one teaspoon of salt into one cup of water. Rinse your mouth for about 30 seconds, and then spit out the saltwater solution. This process can be repeated two to three times per day.
5. Eat a healthy diet that is low in sugar. Consuming healthy foods and beverages is important for your gum, dental, and overall health. Fresh fruits and vegetables are essential for your oral health. These crunchy foods are rich in fiber and can help keep teeth cleaner by reducing the risk of plaque build-up.
Nuts and whole grains are also high in fiber and low in sugar to help promote healthy gums. Additionally, calcium-rich foods are important for building healthy teeth and bones. They also encourage healthy bacteria in the body, which can prevent cavities and decay.
The team at Natural Dentistry provides holistic dentistry in Clearwater, FL. For more information on how to improve your gum and dental health naturally, contact the office today. Call 727-888-6929.